McKerns Development and PR specializes in Strategic PR and Branding: transforming your startup into a brand and bringing your brand to new levels in the marketplace.
As a branding expert, companies often come to me asking, what can I do to increase my firm’s name recognition? Of course, increasing name recognition is only one aspect of the branding puzzle, but an important one. It is particularly perplexing to a company well known in a certain market, (perhaps where the company originated), but disappointed at the lack of carry over in name recognition upon entering a new geographical area.
Care to know 25 effective ways to increase your name recognition and brand your company in the minds of your customer? Here are twenty-five (25) ways you can begin branding your company and increase the name recognition of your firm.
1. Hire a branding company to bring your image and message under a brand. Develop all collateral and image materials (web, stationery, logo, tagline, mission statement, cards, postcards, brochures, elevator pitch, newsletters, letters, project sheets, resumes, bios, firm description, etc.) to coincide with the brand and your message.
2. Develop a mission statement that shows your reason for being and the value you provide to your customers.
3. Develop a memorable tagline that expresses who you are and what you do.
4. Make a matrix of all those you’d like to reach in the next year and the potential influencers on those people. Develop a timetable and calendar of outreach.
5. Regularly write and issue press releases to the media.
6. Regularly write and post press releases to your website.
7. Regularly write and post press releases directly onto the internet.
8. Regularly write articles and do all three of the above.
9. Regularly write and pitch feature story ideas to the media.
10. Diversify all marketing, PR and media to reach the markets where your clients are to be found (as opposed to marketing within your own service industry).
11. Participate (attend, speak, host, present, show) in at least two national and local industry conferences.
12. Create and issue an online or direct mail newsletter.
13. Get known for niche expertise or specific industry knowledge. (speak, write, present, teach).
14. Participate in professional internship programs.
15. Participate and sponsor local charitable efforts; get your name in the program the charitable cause distributes; get your name in the press surrounding the event.
16. Get to know all potential teaming partners in your new geographic area. Let them know your people, your areas of expertise and potential for cross referrals.
17. Develop collateral material with a regional bent; think what projects, services, people or elements might be important to this new market and capture this regional tone in all collateral material.
18. Develop tip sheets as to how your company is different than your competitors and why this makes a difference to teaming partners and to your end users-your potential clients. Include these differentiating tips as the basis for all your branding statements.
19. Develop a calendar of local and regional events in your locale and make your company visible in the areas most related to your company and your potential clients’ interests.
20. Post your calendar of appearances and participation on your website.
21. Plan a media release before and after each event.
22. Hire an industry professional to conduct a survey on your behalf; post the results on your website. Publicize the results most important to your industry.
23. Update your website to be informational based so that search engines can find you, and clients can read in-depth material demonstrating your expertise.
24. Add informational website content a minimum of four times per month.
25. Establish your brand by regularly updating the financial value or potential value associated with your brand. Quantify results achieved and add these results to your brand value. Communicate through all methods, the value of your brand to those associated with it.
Branding your company is key to influencing a memorable response in the minds of your chosen audience. It is not only the name recognition of your firm, but also the perceived value of your organization. Capture these twenty-five essential branding elements and begin to cement a positive branded image for your firm.
McKerns Development and PR is a Strategic Marketing, PR and Branding firm, bringing brand identity and revenue to firms in business to business, business to consumer, medical, green and sustainable development, professional services and non-profits.
Strategic public relations and brand building specialist – turning startups into brands and bringing brands to new markets.
McKerns Development and PR, 264 Cypress Trace, Royal Palm Beach, FL 33411
Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.